National - Tribal and Minority Community Toolkit
Version 2.1 has just been released! It reflects newly released Connecting Minority Communities data and rules through 11/17/2021.
The Tribal and Minority Community Toolkit provides a powerful set of analytical tools for those considering participating in either of two recently announced NTIA Grant Programs:
- Tribal Broadband Connectivity Program ($1 Billion)
- Connecting Minority Communities Pilot Program ($285 million)
These grant programs are funded by the Consolidated Appropriations Act, 2021. The NTIA has released a Notice of Funding Opportunity (NOFO) for the Tribal Broadband Connectivity Program and has released the Final Rule for the Connecting Minority Communities Pilot Program.
This Toolkit provides potential grant applicants the ability to quickly identify opportunities and to start building business cases.
Demographic and economic data includes:
- Population density
- Household density
- Housing unit density
- Income per capita
- Mean household income
- Median household income
- Poverty Line (reflecting HH size)
- Household Size
- SNAP Participation Rate
- Historically Black Colleges and Universities
- Tribal Colleges and Universities
- Minority Serving Institutions. The legislation highlights:
- Alaska Native-serving Institutions
- Native Hawaiian-serving institutions
- Hispanic-serving institutions
- Asia American and Native Pacific Islander-serving institutions
- A Native American-serving, nontribal institution
- All tribal lands
- Eligible areas surrounding qualifying educational institutions
- Eligible geographies (based on an income ratio) within a 15-mile radius (or tribal land - as specified by the NTIA) of each of the qualifying institutions.
- Existing broadband coverage at 25-3 / low latency / block level within the geographic footprint of the two programs.
- Planned federally funded infrastructure deployments (RDOF, CAF II, USDA) that might be a reason for the NTIA to reject an application based on “duplication of funding” in the Tribal Broadband Connectivity Program, within the geographic footprint of the two programs.
- Visual underlays and overlays offering a wide range of contextual information.
Data is available in visual and tabular (Excel) formats at the block group and tract (limited information) level for all 50 states plus the District of Columbia plus Puerto Rico. Limited information is available for qualifying institutions in other US territories.
Need more information? Take a few minutes to read about the NTIA Funding Opportunities and the Introduction (a conceptual overview) and Getting Started Guide.
Those desiring more extensive demographic, economic, or competitive data (applicable to fixed or mobile deployments) should consider the state or national versions of the CBRS Toolkit. These are available at a 50% discount, if purchased at the same time as this product, by applying the discount code “MoreData” at the time of purchase. A trial version of the CBRS Toolkit is also available.
This product includes the relevant geographies in all 50 States plus the District of Columbia plus Puerto Rico.
This product is delivered via a digital download.